Thursday, January 16, 2014

I Need to Find My Tribe

I actually love running blogs. I think most runners enjoy the obsessive nature of the sport - mulling over training plans, plotting race dates, thinking about gear . . . all sorts of things. But I have noticed an annoying thing about most of the blogs I've run into - they feature tiny little women who complain about how heavy they are (despite many photos to the contrary) and how slow they are (with mile splits I would kill for). The average internet runner seems to be under 120 pounds and run 8 minute miles. I weigh . . .a lot more than that and run 12 minute miles (pre-baby I was at 11-11:30 and I will get there again). So their whining about a 24 minute 5K and wearing a size six makes me want to smash things with hammers.

I recognize that everyone is dealing with their own standards and maybe if you weren't an athlete before even your small frame with some muscle on it feels like a big body. Or if you ran track in high school your splits as an adult feel slow even if they are wicked fast to me. But still as much as I am inspired by some of the amazing runners out there they can also make me feel hopeless and ridiculous.

It is like running groups. I would adore a running group. But I want the slow old lady mommy running group. Where no one runs under ten minutes and everyone has the mom pooch and chub rub. I haven't found my runner girl tribe though I see plenty of us out there at races. I know that I am not alone. But it would be great to find those ladies in person and online. I love reading about those fast ladies but I would be just as inspired by someone who was working just as hard but started out more in my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment