Saturday, January 25, 2014

Gear Score

Running articles love to trot out the idea that running is a fitness activity that doesn't cost any money. All you need is a pair of shoes and you can run. This always makes me laugh because man runners LOVE spending money on running. Sure you do see some grizzled old runners about in big cotton t-shirts and tube socks sans watch and everything else. But most runners I see like to invest in gear that makes running more comfortable and allows them to run their best. Moisture wicking clothes top that list because after a sweat heavy workout in a cotton shirt you are likely to have giant chafe marks ripped in your skin.

For me the big national brands like Nike and Under Armour have not worked. I do not have a typical runners body - I have big thighs (and not the runner's big thighs where they still have thigh gap) and a booty but with a smaller waist and I have boobs. A lot of the bigger brands seem to have taken their best men's styles and shrunk them down and made them pink. I think this works well for a lot of slimmer runners and they have no problems. Stores like Lululemon and Athleta have challenged those brands by making tech clothing that also looks great. My issues with those stores are primarily about function - sometimes they are so cute but maybe not as practical as I would prefer. And price. I don't mind investing in workout clothing but $100 running pants seems crazy. I also don't love the founder of Lululemon and would like to not ever give him my money.

So I have spent a lot of time experimenting. I have a few things from Road Runner (my favorite running store) that are very functional and practical (but sadly not always so flattering). I have a couple of things from the Gap that are pretty good but seem to be SLIGHTLY more about lifestyle than actually working out. And I do have one Lululemon shirt (that I bought at the outlet with a gift card so I try to tell myself they didn't make any money off of me) that had been my favorite - as much as I loathe the company it was just so nice and light and not too warm in hot weather and not cold in cool weather and it never even smells. But it just made me crazy it was Lulu and I wouldn't buy another.

Out of the blue JR bought me this from Oiselle. Oiselle is a Seattle running company that makes functional but stylish running apparel for women. Their shorts sadly don't work for me - but I have yet to find any that do - but their capris are the best around. This shirt is now my top choice for every outdoor run. Just as functional as the Lulu - it even has great hand coverage and is the perfect length and never rides up. At $66 it is an indulgence (and an amazing gift) but I love it and I find myself choosing it every time.

Imagine my excitement to go to a Oiselle sample sale this morning. I got another Flyte top, two lux layers (which seems to be discontinued) and a tank top (and shorts for my girl Linda). My share was under $100. For their quality and how cute and comfortable everything is (I tried on one of lux layer shirts when I got home and uh never took it off - I didn't even run and my mom tried to steal it) that feels like free.

I am still on the quest for running shorts (if I am ever going to turn myself into a summer runner they are a must) that don't provoke the chub rub but my work out wardrobe feels like it is in great shape.  I have grand plans to go to their next sale and drag Linda with me (we can run after so it will feel healthy).

No run today. Hopefully a long run tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Already planning for the next one. You got an amazing haul, girl.

    ReplyDelete