Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mulligan

My race training was supposed to begin this week. I chose a 15 week plan because I feel like for both of my previous races I was under-trained. I had only one run over ten miles. In both races (they were just three weeks apart) I struggled BADLY after ten miles. I just felt unprepared and my brain just shut down trying to push me towards the finish line. The longer plan has several runs over that ten mile marker and just more miles overall It was the plan I was using before becoming pregnant and dropping out of the half marathon last year. This was week 1 of that plan. And I failed at week 1. Failed badly.

Tuesday was great, 4 strong miles in the gym before work. But I had an ugly, embarassing weird injury in the middle of the week and didn't run the rest of my plan. Objectively I know that no one has failed at a race because they skipped a short run with strides. But I admit that those zeros in my training log make me feel uneasy. I think that this is common. Most runners I admit that do events have that obsessive side of their personality. They devote a lot of time trying to sort out the best way to get across the finish line.

Now this week is my chance to get going on the right track. We will see if I can get a couple of speed workouts in and work past this slow start.

1 comment: